Aerinravage's GamerCard

Friday, November 11, 2011

Home Is Where the Trolls Are

(placeholder alert - I want to get these and some other thoughts down before I forget, but this post may change)

Since I've not been on any MMO's in ages, I've given PlayStation Home a serious shot.  As with most things, I'm AerinRavage there too.  And after many hours logged, here's what I think:

* It's a decent social platform, but it needs improved communication tools
* As a marketing platform, it's really hit-or-miss. Some promotions work well (Dead Island, Uncharted) and others are turn-offs (Resistance, X-Men)
* The "games" are a mixed bag as well, though the Home 2.0 update has at least improved things. Lag ruins the fun in many games, especially DDR ><
* Trolls, trolls, trolls. You all know how much I enjoy the psychology of trolling and being trolled, so I get a tickle from it all.  Even had an epic night where I tanked four or five hardcore trolls for 15 minutes or so
* USB keyboards. Less than 10 bucks. Please don't consume my evening with 7 wpm chats...
* Avatar customisation is a treat, but as long as I maintain my Sony boycott, I can't get the more stylish or fun items
* I think Home wants to be a true social hub for PS3 users but comes off like a poor IMVU clone

I've made a few good friends and have had a number of really fun and interesting conversations.  People like Dubbs, FFXIHealer, CherryHeartsMatt, MullacAbu, Femaelstrom, AJillSandwich, Tomaisin, and DonandGert have given me a reason to stop by Home but truly, there's just not that much there to hold my interest.

There's a screenshot function and I managed to get a few snaps of the Cantina mosh pit.  I'll grab those when I can and add them here.

No comments: