Aerinravage's GamerCard

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Panama City Beach

Do the local bands do a cover of GNR's "Paradise City" with the town's name instead?

For our first summer event, we went to PCB for 6 days and 5 nights. Ape got us a great deal on a townhome rental walking-distance close to the beach and big enough for the five of us. So, Saturday afternoon, we packed the van full of people and luggage and drove the five-odd hours there. Before I go too far, during this trip I used the heck out of Mjollnir's GPS, and it was awesome, except for finding a Dunkin' Donuts.

Highlights for now, details later maybe?

Saturday: Creature slept almost the ENTIRE way here. We got into town in time for dinner and met SIL and her crew at a place called Pineapple Willy's. Meh. While it *was* on the beach, there wasn't anything special about the food or the service.

Sunday: I had to work so Ape took the kids to Sis's place (a 14th-floor condo on the beach) to hang out and to meet some friends of ours from Alabama. They used to live close by and Ape watched their kids often, but promotions in the husband's job meant a relocation to 'Bama. I was supposed to meet them later on but timing got messed up and they had to leave.

Dinner at Red Robin and shopping at a place called Pier Park - think Town Center but super-close to the beach. Met a FFXIV player at GameStop when I asked the girl at the counter about the collector's edition. She was a font of info about 14 - maybe it's not so broken at this point.

Monday: Most of the day was spent in Destin and Fort Walton. Found another Town Center shopping area and had a nice time looking around, although Elder managed to slice his toe open whilst texting and walking >< Dinner later then a nice fishing village/shops area with a great feel to it. Open air movies playing (Wall-E), fishing boats coming in, a "large bird" photo stand, and more.

Tuesday: I need to check my notes, but I think today was go-carts for the boys, a trip to an arcade, and one of the worst dining experiences ever, at a place called Dirty Dick's. Supposed to be good steak and BBQ but it was anything but. SIL and Bro's steaks were overcooked, and too thin for their tastes. Ape and Younger's food arrived after everyone else had eaten (and Younger's order was wrong on top of everything else). Service was poor as well.

I called for the manager who was not very helpful and we left very dissatisfied, though I wisely passed on the food. I wound up with Zaxby's most delicious Sweet & Sour chicken sandwich. Later, when I went looking for their entry on Google Maps to put in my review, I couldn't find one. Younger was quick to theorize they deleted it to hide their lousy reputation.

Wednesday: The boys met SIL & Co. for a day at the water park. Ape, Katie and I went to Panama City proper and its mall for more shopping and walking about. Later, we had professional beach pics taken. Then, I finally got to see their condo - *amazing* place! I'd have left the front door and patio open most of the time just for the breeze and the waves! Elder and I watched an ep of South Park, a pretty good one wherein Mr. Mackey directs a kindergarten play.

Oh, the Dunkin' Donuts thing. On the map, I could see where I needed to go but was unsure of the street names. So Ape and I punched up Sally, my GPS friend and proceeded to drive in a large circle, ending up at a construction site next door to SIL's condo. To Sally's credit, the satellite never locked in for some reason, so I can forgive her. And other than that, directions to several places around PCB and Panama City were spot-on!

Thursday: Before leaving, we finally stopped by the dune buggy place to see if it was worth my time. The track layout was very well done, and long. But the cars were anemic power-wise. I was roped into taking Younger around so with two of us on board it wasn't much of a driving challenge. Solo, or with proper power, their place would rock!

On the way home, we stopped in Tallahassee for dinner and, you guessed it, more shopping. Din was Longhorn. We'd had enough of local fare after Pineapple Willy's and Dirty Dick's. And it was /excellent/. Shopping was a mall that time forgot, with many shuttered storefronts, but somehow featuring TWO places offering tabletop gaming. Dessert was DQ.

I had to work Friday, and since we got in so late. I was bushed. But it went pretty well and led into a three-day weekend!

Our trip was fantastic and Creature traveled very easily. We had a great time, for the most part with few problems. We'd definitely go back, but we'll need a good local fixer to connect us with decent local restaurants!

No comments: