Aerinravage's GamerCard

Friday, November 9, 2007

Reputation (Not the Quick Kind)

I’ve been thinking about FFXI a lot lately. And not just because I’m very likely clinically addicted, or that I’ve got about 860 hours logged in under 11 months. I’ve been thinking about what the game means to me and why I’m so into it, and what I want to get out of it. It helps to know what my motivations are, especially when trying to explain such a timesink to non-massive gamers, or *gasp* non-gamers! ^^

One thing I’ve found very interesting is that my online persona, aside from being represented by a hot cat-lady, is essentially the opposite of my real-life one. Anyone who knows me IRL knows I’m not a socializer. I have great people skills but I don’t go out of my way looking for people to skill up on, as it were. I try to interact with non-family as little as possible.

In-game however, I love helping out people and don’t mind doing all manner of favors. It’s one of the main reasons I dumped RDM in favor of WHM – it’s the premier job for selfless people. From my first weeks in Vana’diel I resolved to help anyone I could since I got so much random help from higher-ups just as I was getting started. Usually simple things like Protects or Shells or a little curing. As WHM I do a lot of random curing and enhancing, and have gotten many chances to show off my Raise macro.

But now, the more I think about it, I think there’s more to it than wanting to help people. If Squeenix were to ask me directly what I valued most in-game, be it experiences, activities, people, inventory, anything, I think my answer would be my reputation. Yes, I do have a couple of e-peen items, and I have a great linkshell boss and crew (yay Fhox!) but I really think my rep is the most important asset I have.

From my first days of partying back in March, to PLing now, or running missions with the Brigaders, I’ve worked very hard to maintain high standards of behavior. Not just as a solid, dependable White Mage, but as a member of the community people wouldn’t be afraid to approach for assistance.

Mainly, I’ve done this by following some simple rules, and the other night, got some recognition for it (details follow). Now, since some of this pertains to my teletaxi business, don’t spread this around too much:

• Never bail on a party. Warn the leader at least 15 minutes in advance (30+ if possible) and be prepared to look for a rep if time permits.

• Fulfill expected job duties and make sure (as WHM) everyone stays enhanced and vertical.

• Don’t demand restitution for simple favors like Raises, teles, PLing or guidance. In months of being a T-T, I’ve never argued about an offered tip, have given away countless freebies, and basically work on the idea of “You pay what you offered, even if the offer is 0, because that’s what I accepted.”

• Stop to help someone on the bad end of a pull or link (if possible). In several trips through Valkurm I’ve managed to save lots of bacon, but I was seconds too late on several as well. I don’t recall ever walking/riding past someone who clearly needed help.

• Follow through on the Mentor badge. Actually, I don’t think this thing gets me noticed the way many seem to fear. I’ve had some random tells asking for help, teles, or other assistance which I always try to respond to. But it’s equally likely they found me by level/job search as by Mentor search. Still, I want people that see me hanging about to feel they can approach me.

• Be fair and diplomatic in all communications. I try to stay professional and mature whenever chatting with others. I can get silly/jokey sometimes, and angry (usually in-Shell only), but I try to be polite to everyone.

• Never underestimate the power of a kind word or emote. Following from above, I do a lot of bowing and scraping either in-party to my leader, or when helping others. Or in cases where I’m being helped. Lately, as a PL, I’m trying to leave newer players with a better impression of higher-ups like me. Not every higher-up wants a quid pro quo or has an arrogant attitude. I help out with gameplay tips and answers when I can.

I keep a party log, and I suspect many others do to. I don’t know what others document, but I know almost everyone I’ve ever partied with and I do have a few people I’d avoid in the future. I don’t want to find myself on other people’s lists if I can help it, at least, not for behavior. I know I’ve pissed off some leaders as a melee-mage, but lately I’ve pretty much given up on that.

And now, the event that pretty much convinced me to write this whole thing up. I was tooling around in Jeuno Tuesday or Wednesday when Espoira sent me a private tell asking for a favor. I was afraid she was going to ask for Vahzl which I don’t have yet, or try to invite me to a party, which I didn’t have time for. Nope, just a routine tele request, to Dem I believe.

So I start casting after she parties up, and she tries to pay me. I refuse, and just as she’s about to try again, insisting “tip”, the spell fires and we zap over to Dem. On arrival, I throw down my usual Protectra III and she starts talking tip again which I refuse. At this she says something like “You’re a very good person. If you ever need help with a mission quest etc. just ask.” I told her “Same” wrt missions and quests.

Now, I honestly don’t know if this was a true assessment or just gratitude, but it really made me feel good inside!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your welcome, and i was being honest -Espoira

Unknown said...

Your welcome, believe it or not i remember this. I would have helped any time you needed. -Espoira

Unknown said...

Your welcome, and i was being honest -Espoira