Aerinravage's GamerCard

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Sony Might Need to Go


(I'm not happy)

Some of you may remember my saga of hardware troubles with my PS3, TheAlmighty. I shipped it off a couple weeks ago and got it back the day before Christmas. And my cloned drive didn't work. Turns out it's likely an antipiracy move. Here is the letter I sent Sony's Customer Service. If I get an answer I'll be sure to share:

------------

Earlier this year, my PS3 began having random freezing/glitching issues. I put up with it during a job change and once settled in the new company spent the money for a repair/replacement.

My system was turned around very quickly and all support staff I dealt with were very friendly and helpful.

My issue is what I was told before sending in the system. I was told the drive (60gb) needed to be included and that I needed to back up my data prior to shipping. My system would not stay on long enough to back up the 47 gigs of data I had on it so my only choice was to clone the drive.

On receiving my system I re-imaged the drive only to be told by the system it needed to be formatted. Just to be sure I re-imaged again and got the same error.

Doing some Google searches I learn *AFTER* being told to back up my data that there's only one way to do so, with a functioning system. The tech knew my system was dead but didn't warn me about my cloning plans. Being an I/T professional I'm used to rescuing data from dead hardware through cloning, so I didn't expect any trouble.

Apparently the system blocks drive swaps as part of antipiracy efforts. I don't want to start a flamewar but I'm getting more than a little pissed off that legitimate customers are harmed in an attempt to prevent casual piracy.

If I'm screwed out of my data I'm not going to be happy about it. I've been a PS gamer since 1997 and Gran Turismo. I personally own two PS units, two PS2s (us, jp), a PS3 and a PSP. My sons have a PS and a PSP and we were planning on buying a PSP-3000 for my youngest's birthday. I have over 150 games, mostly PS2 RPG and racing titles. NONE are Greatest Hits titles. The rest of the family owns dozens more titles across all systems.

If this is how Sony wants to treat honest customers, enjoy your ongoing ride into oblivion while I tell everyone I know and recommend electronics to to avoid Sony like the Zune.

I would like to speak to someone and hear in person whether or not I've lost all my pictures, movies and game data. [cell number]

Thank you

[AerinRavage (c'mon, thought I'd give it up that easily?)]

No comments: