Aerinravage's GamerCard

Friday, July 9, 2010

Good and Bad

Friday 7/9

Work continues to drag. I got called to the principal's office but it turns out it was about next week's roll, not yesterday's mixup. Even still, my day was nearly all support. Until lunch, that is! Our planned lunch at J. Alexander's was still on, which I didn't know. I had actually eaten just before Mom called to ask about timing. I wasn't about to pass up a meal there! So at the planned time, I hustled there, and we all ate. I enjoyed the French dip, split with Ape's burger. I also compared Catch's 3G speeds on his Droid with the iPhone's - both are pretty sucky.

I finished the day at work with more support, and left at 6:30. From there, it was a small dinner then "The Last Airbender". My fam went, plus my sis's crew. Overall opinions were positive. I may have been the most disappointed. Let me explain... I never watched the series regularly, but I saw a selection of eps. I know the general storyline, and I caught a lot of the end of Book 1. See, Younger was kind of into it, and it's a pretty good show. But my disappointments really weren't based on screenplay adaptations. Nope, I had other beefs. First off, the acting. All three leads irritated me. But I couldn't decide if Aang or Kitara was worse. Second, the casting. I haven't read a lot about the racial implications of how our heroes became non-Asian/Indian. Third, the actual bending was mostly a letdown. But at the same time, the practicing of the forms (for want of a better term) was beautiful. Very Tai-Chi like. I didn't hate the movie - overall, I had a nice time, and I'll likely see the expected sequel. But it's no Eclipse.

Speaking of which, I snuck into a showing just at the end of the "tent scene" and stayed to catch the beginning of the battle. From there, we met my parents at our house. There was a Krystal Kraving going on so I went with my dad, Catch and SC. I let Catch drive and he had a lot of fun stretching Shiroma's legs. We returned with the food and then the two of us went out again so I could drop off the DVDs I checked out from our library. Have I repped our library yet? We have a truly great library system in town. I took the helm at the library and showed off a bit, taking a hard loop around a roundabout and other fun stuff. I should teach him how to heel & toe and double-clutch!

-------------------

Thursday 7/8

My big problem today was Shiroma. The Wednesday night battery issue turned into a four-hour wrench-a-thon. I had already written the team to let them know I was having trouble, and when the Sev1 page came in I was on VPN an on the phone in less than 5 minutes. Later, when I found out I wasn't going to make my original ETA, I called in and let our support guy know, and asked him to let anyone else know if they came calling on me. I also checked my email a few times and didn't see anything urgent.

The fix involved lots of cleaning corrosion, charging the battery, jump-starting, and other tests. I ultimately wound up replacing the battery. The parts store guy tested the original battery and said it was good, but I wasn't convinced. That battery was very "corrosive", eating up *two* battery tiedown brackets. I do suspect the tray cover may have something to do with it, confining any corrosive outgassing, but still. I didn't make it to work until a little after 2 and had to take a half-day as my regular boss was out on vacation and she'd have let me make up the time. Our temp boss asked for my PTO as I walked in...

Anyway, the Sev1 wasn't a Sev1 at all, just a confused user. Our director had sent out an email earlier about key staff and unreported absences
but I didn't feel like arguing the point that I had notified the team twice - I just didn't include her because we normally don't. The rest of the day was ~meh~ as well. More support and no code...

No comments: