Aerinravage's GamerCard

Monday, August 24, 2009

Attack of the White Mage Amateur!


(Wow, and I thought I’d gotten past the awkward magey stage…)

I hopped on kinda latish for a schoolnight because I spent a lot of time with Ape, and I finished Sanctuary. As I feared, the guy didn’t get the girl. In fact, she turned out to be a covert operative and totally screwed our reluctant hero… Boo! Another interesting fact: Our hero used “froggin’” and “sheep-shite” as swears throughout the book. 533 pages, minus umpteen uses… Well, I don’t know how many pages it’d shrink by, but I’d wager at least 10!

Upon waking in my MH I checked in on GD – no shell-level action, just a bunch of folks doing their thing. I decided to flag up and see if I could score about 8k worth of LP before bedtime. It took a little time but I finally got an invite from Dartt for my favoritest camp in the whole game – the Mire! (sarcasm alert!)

His original offer said Sync 70 so I was stoked – I’d have a full-powered sub and my new WHM gear goodies would take effect. Then he asked if we could go to 68… So, just before I made it to the Chamber of Passage, I U-turned and grabbed the rest of my Healer’s gear. I also made my first mistake of the night – I forgot my Noble’s worked at 68, not 70 and put it away.

The party looked like a good setup – PLD SAM MNK DRG THF and me. I figured we’d have some sweet SC damage and between the SAM and DRG frequent weaponskill usage. And I love PLD tanks!

But, for some reason, the imps were very vicious tonight. They seemed to hit much harder than usual, despite our PLD, Colder, using his full arsenal of pally talents. When imps went after other targets the hits were often harder than a single C3. Also, we wound up with more than one link, one of them my fault (mistake #3).

I did remember to run my Jnun Misery/Esuna routine, and in fact, the group picked up on it and would wait for the Esuna post-kill instead of taking off for pulls. That made me happy!

Then, Mithra Mistake #2 – Reraise fell, and I left it down. I’d been fighting low mana all night (no refresher) and also the pulls were pretty frequent. Sure enough, not 10 minutes after it fell, we get raped. Neither Colder nor Jeaux (DRG) had reraisers on, so I had to HP and return.

As I made my way back there was some party chatter about passersby either not offering raises or only offering R1 at this level, a breach of the unwritten rules of healing. I commented that I’d blundered first by not keeping RR up. They were very forgiving tho’. I’d need that forgiveness again in about two minutes because as soon as I entered the Iron Gate, I got spotted, from what seemed QUITE far to me, by an imp. I did have SS up and he stopped to cast on me so I thought I’d have a clear shot at the gate. Nope – SS was gone in one hit (!) and I never got a clean Repose off – too many interrupts. Dead again… HP again… 5 minutes later, I tried again remembering RR ^^ However, I failed my sneak attempt back to camp and pulled a link. Correction, TWO links. I only saw the one which I slept, and I pulled the original to camp, telling them to let me die. They thought they could take it, unsynced. I warned of the link and they said to sleep it.

When the first arrived my second sleep on him was resisted. Then another imp joined as they were killing #1. Two-hours flew and they actually got through the second and partway into the third before the wipe. I did everything I could but I had already two-houred earlier and I eventually ran out of mana. Plus that last curaga was enough to get me dead (yet again) anyway.

Poor Dartt, who still had shadows up, used a warp scroll and made it into Whitegate, just as the imp’s Fire 3 roasted him. He landed dead.

And poor Ceemoney was a little irked because he’d JUST hit 75 when I brought the rain. Thankfully, after I was able to RR, and Raise 3 the lot, he still had his level by double-digits. We began to split up then because Dartt and Vallie had to go, as did Colder and I. Dartt called off two incoming reps once it was clear we were all going.

Before parting, Vallie said I was the sweetest WHM she’d met in the game. I /blushed (and *blushed*) at that – one of the best compliments I’ve ever gotten! Jeaux, whom I’m pretty sure ate dirt twice, said something cute: “I’d be lying if I said this was the best party ever, but you guys sure have been fun to play with!” I offered teles to those not using warp items and Jeaux took my offer, headed to Dem.

Midway in the party, I switched over to Milk, finding only Dekota. We chatted briefly about how quiet the shell was. I mentioned it was because K wasn’t back yet. I think he texted her because he popped back on a few minutes later saying K’s new house wasn’t going to be internet-able for some time >< Dang it! Hurry back K!

Oh yeah, I had another blunder – also midway, Macotte ran by with an Imp in tow. He called for help and I slept the imp. He got away (I think) but someone on our team paid the price when the flying bastard awoke. There was a bit of agreement that I should have let Macotte die. Sweet as I may be, determined as I am to keep the party alive, I’d have a hard time standing idle watching someone go down if I thought I could make a difference safely. But, extra vicious imps, remember? /sigh…

No comments: