Aerinravage's GamerCard

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Review Time!

G.I. Joe: Freaking amazing fun, but a little brutal for PG-13. People's heads get popped off with explosive darts for goodness' sake! *pop* Look kids, no head! Still, we all loved it!

District 9: Weird anti-apartheid story set to aliens, but still in Johannesburg, S.A. Transparency fail! But it *is* a well-told story and there are some deft emotional touches too. Plus, a lightning gun that explodes people!

I just realized that those last two reviews are gonna make me look like a sicko. I'm not, but sometimes, you just need a good, brainess actioner. Headless even! (I kill me!) Hey, was that a proper use of irony just now?

OK, now that that's done, I've also been reading. On a book called Thieves' World: Sanctuary. Something I got as a gift. As big as I am into Vana'diel and other aspects of fantasy play, my reading leans more towards the sci-fi end of things. Usually. This one's pure fantasy, and after a slowish start, it's really grown on me.

Now, those of you that know me know I love a good romance. Two characters in this one, Cauvin and Leorin, are in love but they each hold terrible secrets that complicate things. They were both raised by a vicious cult of insurgents to be killers and manipulators. Leorin still has terrible nightmares that Cauvin (when he can get to her - long story) tries his best to comfort her through. Very touching... /snif

Now, some 70% into it, I'm getting worried that they won't wind up together and it's making me saddish... I'd better not get to the end of this thing and get cheated!

Also also, Dad and I raced again - great track layout and I beat him too! But part of the deal is you work a shift on the sidelines fixing knocked-down cones. For three-plus hours. And I missed a few spots with the sunblock. Ow...

No comments: