Aerinravage's GamerCard

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Sunday

Friday night, I fell asleep after the post-movie cuddling.

Saturday:

I didn't have a lot of time for anything besides helping Clone the Elder. His National History Day project is due this week. I rigged up the two part presentation board and helped with the culling of excess wording from the slides.

We watched the cousins for a couple hours and there was more Metallica and Smash Hits action.

I got in some FFXI with a Bastok 8-1 assist and a mutual Mog House tour with Soho. Someone needs to hook me up with whatever it is he's doing. His mog was very nicely appointed, and a number of the furnishings were event rewards. Of particular fascination to me was his glowy crystal that cycled through the elemental colors.

Also had a couple of interesting chats, as usual.

In /random news, I pulled out my Dreamcast and keyboard gear. Now all I need is my Typing of the Dead disc. I've decided between work and home I'm long overdue for a typing skillup.

Also, last night I heard some of our wildlife messing with our garbage cans. Expecting the deer again I looked out and saw two raccoons! I grabbed a flashlight and laser pointer hoping to drive them off. Instead, they actually approached the back door where I was watching from. Clearly these fellows haven't watched enough sniper movies to have developed a fear of glowing red dots on the forehead...

Sunday:

Thought I was going to relax but then I remembered what today is! Super Bowl Sunday XLIV 44 Game Day! Otherwise known as a year's worth of good commercials in like 5 hours.

I did get to play Metallica for about 90 minutes, working on Career to unlock stuff. I also created my rocker, modeled after Joscelin but named Sqwisgaar. May need to rethink that one. As we were wrapping up (Ape had returned with her mom and was finishing prep) I got to listen to MIL's opinion of heavy metal. The Younger tried to put on a show but picked Beginner and quit. I tried "Dyer's Eve" on Hard and soon regretted it.

Not sure why since the lyrics have never applied to me personally, but I've always felt "connected" to Dyer's lyrics...

At my parents', we feasted and sat down to watch the game. The first half was interesting enough, wth each team dominating one quarter.

Overheard at various points before and during the halftime show (The Who played, for those keeping score):

"Who's playing at halftime?" "The Who." "Right, who's playing?"

"I think they're playing medley-style in the hopes /somebody/ recognizes one song..."

"Across the country, parties filled with thirty-somethings are scratching their heads at hearing the name of the musical guest."

"Does anyone watching even /know/ what a pinball machine is?"

(From the kitchen) "Oooh, CSI is starting?"

Some commercial reactions:

Doritos dog collar - classic physical comedy, but with animals! -grins-

Doritos Date Pickup - One of the best. The little boy's deadpan delivery is perfect!

Tim Tebow's pro-life spot: A) I happen to be pro-life. Surprised? I am a healer after all. I'm not a zealot about it and realize everything can be situational. B) Why on earth was there such an outcry again? Mom Tebow didn't say anything remotely controversial.

Manly Dodge Charger - Umm, why is shopping with your wife for clothes or housewares so unmanly, requiring a testosterone infusion? Is the woman who completes you not worth a litle time? A *lot* of time? Plus the car's a four-door. How is that manly, again?

Simpsons Coke - Hated it. Seemed very out of character. Plus most of the "Happiness" ads haven't registered with me.

Intel - I miss the "rock star" spots...

Africa Coke - Nice. I get to contradict myself a little. It was goofy but the scenery was lovely and the overall premise worked.

e-Trade - Dun like the new baby, but "milkaholic" sold me. Also, enthusiastic wolf howl made me think of Kio. I promise I'll gt it right event

Second Denny's Freebie - "In space no one can hear you cluck." Two thumbs up!

Doritos Locker Steal - hilarious chip samurai... (:

Audi Green Police - Awesome-sauce, plus I like Audi!

Second half? On-side kick, recovered, leading to a TD? {Yes, please!}

-shakes soggy head- In attempting to open a bottle of wine for Ape, without a corkscrew, I managed to shove the cork in. And got a faceful of white zinfandel for my trouble...

Manning intercepted, returned for another TD? /hurray

---------------

In unrelated-ish news, Ape was grading during the game. She showed some examples of "regular" work and the work of one of her challenged students. She has a couple, and has tried to convince the parents and her admins that these kids are beyond normal teaching. Looking at their work is quite heartbreaking, as it's clear they are trying but just aren't progressing... As a parent of an ADHD kid, I get it. But if the parents of these kids won't agree to get medical or professional help...

No comments: