Aerinravage's GamerCard

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Creepy Crawlies

Before logging in Ape and I watched a couple of hours of TV and I spent a little time researching weapon and armor upgrades for WHM. Turns out there are a few clubs that put out high damage at or near 62, and one has a Stun effect that might work on Maat when that time arrives. I also saw that my only real option shield-wise is the Holy Shield.

So when I logged in still next to Maat, I prepped a /shout for Ebony Wand +1 {Reward:}10k and Holy Shield {Reward:}30k and let fly once before entering my MH. I collected some more auction receipts, changed to Dancer and flagged up, and then exited in Lower Jeuno.

I shouted some more for the two items and also threw out shouts for the AF3 or AF4 runs. I was waiting for at least half an hour and got no takers on Dancer or offers for items. I did chat briefly with Sandyclaws, a Galkan WHM interested in AF3. He said he had a NIN75 willing to help out but wondered if the three of us would be enough. I told him I thought possibly but that we’d need to farm bells first anyway.

He seemed unsure so I told him I’d be on for a couple more hours if he changed his mind. I then verified the AF6 coffer key mob strengths – of the three that drop the key in the Crawler’s Nest, the Soldier Crawler*, in the high-40’s, would be the easiest to try soloing. And its level would likely grant skillups in both Club and Shield.

Giving up on Jeuno, I ride out to CN and start looking for Soldiers. Nothing aggros thankfully, and I try out the regular Ebony Wand I bought for kicks. I pick a Worker Crawler and beating it down took longer than I expected. And I took a good amount of damage. And since they’re closer to 40, I don’t get any skillups ><. This makes me nervous for the Soldier fights…

I eventually find a tunnel with 4 of them paired up 2 x 2. I buff and wait for one to move far enough away as not to link, and pull it. This fight is longer and harder than with the Worker, but I win. No drop of course. I change my strategy from nuke & cure to blink-tank and enfeeb. By alternating Blinks with Stoneskins and making sure all 4 enfeebles are in place, I take out a handful of worms without needing to cure. It does wipe most of my MP, but I feel like a proper tank. It’s certainly good experience for my future Paladin or Ninja tanking days.

I change up my buffs a bit by trying out Ice Spikes and Blaze Spikes on two more crawlers. I think Ice is the way to go for the free Paralyzes (still the most effective non-DoT enfeeble IMHO). And the damage it deals when I get hit helps.

I also use Haste only when slowed but I might start with that as a pre-fight buff. It really isn’t taking that long to recover MP since HP isn’t taking any real damage.
I think I soloed 7 or 8 of these guys before checking the time. So I say my goodnights to the Brigaders and begin to log out when it dawns on me* that I soloed the wrong* worms*! It’s Helm Beetles, Knight Crawlers and RUMBLE Crawlers. Argh… But I did skill up Club +5, Shield like 2 or 3 and Divine (from the Banish spam).

I like my new WHM Tanking strategy but I wish I could fight tougher mobs, especially with Rumblers being like 52-55. And that it didn’t take so long. I think I might look into Acc+ gear for both WHM and DNC as well as whether or not I want to start eating tank food. I’m not farming much and with my HP outside of Jeuno and AU I’m not tele-taxiing either.

As for skillups, it looks like the logic is working – take current skill level, figure out what level caps it (to know a mob minimum level), then figure out what level caps the new target (say +40). Then hunt down mobs of that new level using a bestiary or camp resource. I wonder if that “cheat” of using a 0-damage weapon on a slept mob really works. I have a club and staff pair from holiday events that’s like DMG 2. I think I’ll try, but I thought to get a skillup the hit had to connect AND do at least 1 point of damage.

No comments: