Aerinravage's GamerCard

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Tele-Taxi for Hire

I wasn’t planning on making a full entry for today but I did want to commit to paper some of my thoughts on running a Tele-Taxi business. And I did wind up working with Fhox and Magruder (from RDB LS) on the Shooting Fish BCNM. But more on that later!

Since hitting WHM36 and finding a Holla scroll on the AH for around 30k, I’ve been trying to make a name for myself as a fair and professional T-T. It didn’t take long to start pulling in fares (mostly 1-2k) and I was able to quest the Mea and Dem scrolls in a few days meaning I could teleport people to the three major cities and a number of popular zones. And of course, the money started flowing.

However, there’s a crowd lined up in the taxi stand, as it were. Tauu, Greyhound, xFatalityx, Kese, and others rush to be the first with “/pcmd add ”. I tend to keep the command up ready for a name when I’m tooling around Jeuno or messing with the AH.

Some taxi operators /shout all over the place, usually prompting Tauu and others to “append” their names to the original message. Also, it seems there’s a bit of price flooring going on – I’ve noticed a lot less competition for the 1k fares (or the free rides) lately. Tauu even commented to one passenger to try bumping their offer. I don’t care – 1k for a minute’s work and maybe a better reputation :)

Although, I have had my share of great fares, too. I’ve pulled in a number of 3-5k runs, and I usually try to discount the trip if it’s over 3k regardless of tele. Some riders are amused and most, grateful. I did have one, Anukanasomune, who refused a discount off a 10k run! I told her the next one would be free. I’ll have to remember, too!

I’ve also had riders go with me more than once a night – perhaps farming for chest keys or NM’s and needing to start over after hitting one-way routes?

One thing I’ve learned is, in general, if I don’t get a response to the invite, or it “cannot be processed”, to just give up on that one. I had been trying to hit the customers with but now I think it comes off as desperate. However, I have started following up the invite request with a quick /sea to check if they were reeled in already (party blue) or a leader (party yellow). In that case I can’t invite them and resort to a /tell. And I did have a party of 5 once, Neve Campbell not included.

I recently added Altep to my route and those fares tend to be more generous than others, although I’m trying to stick to my 3k cap. Unless I’m in a rush to buy something… I might give Yhoat another go this week, since all I need is one lousy Elshimo Marble drop from an Ivory Lizard. But they hang with the Goblin Smithys and both mobs link. Since the lizzies and Smithies almost always go two-by-two it’s an easy way to die. I’m hoping as WHM42 or 43 with my new Savage gear I’m collecting I’ll stand a better chance.

Changing gears, Fhox organized the shell’s first NM run, something he’s been trying to do since returning from vacation a few weeks ago. He had originally wanted to do 5-1 and 5-2, but Puma (I think) couldn’t stay and I wasn’t able to join with my low rank. So Fhox switched it up and he, Magruder and I (as WHM) gave Shooting Fish, a pug trio up on Mount Horlais, a go. It’s a 20-capped fight, requiring a Cloudy Orb (20 seals) to enter. Note to self – Activating a level cap also breaks enchantments if they’re over the cap, like Reraise and High Mana Wand’s Recover MP + 4…

After buying or switching to the best 20 gear I could (Black Robe + Mithran Loincloth = Exposed) we headed up the mountain. About 45 minutes later we got to the burning circle and geared / buffed up. Within 30 seconds of Fhox’s Carby Pull-and-link, we were flat on our asses. The pugs’ ranged Water attacks were drilling me for close to 100hp per, and prolly similar for Fhox and Magruder. Next time, we’ll go with more than 3 in the party…

In any case, it was exciting and a great time socializing. I’d never met Maguder before (I think he’s a recent member) and I haven’t partied with Fhox since he and Dex (or was it Xeanort?) helped me get Rank 3.

No comments: