Aerinravage's GamerCard

Monday, April 26, 2010

Story Time

Mon

Ape's still miserable and will be going back to the doc after work, assuming she makes it through the day. I really didn't feel like being at work either but I have two major rolls coming up and very little time to test and prepare. Otherwise, work's going well and I'm definitely skilling up, not just in Java but in a number of the associated developer tools as well.

Ape called after lunch saying the A/C guys were going to try again this afternoon, close to 6:30. I didn't get to leave work until after 5:30, but I got home before they showed up. Which, actually, they never did. I stopped waiting at just after 7 and took Elder to get Ape's new meds (turns out she has a massive sinus infection, leading Doc to incredulously wonder how she's still functional) and dinner at Chick-Fil-A. CFA was hosting a "Spirit Night", wherein a cut of the proceeds goes to fund a local church. The place was almost certainly at fire marshal capacity.

Back home, we all ate and then it was time for DWTS. The skill level is definitely increasing. Pretty much everyone looked great, although I somehow missed the "dance marathon". Nicole and Derek took top nods for both that and their individual dance. During all this, Ape and I fought over the lappy and I eventually got it back. I jumped on AIM and found LK online.

He's pondering a move, to either Washington State or NYC. Both have good things to recommend them but I joked how he'd make it on his lil' scoot in either environment. One leads to a pretty ready-made house with roommates and the other might offer other possibilities. His most recent LJ post had to do with how he was "drawn in" to various fandoms, including games, anime and furry. We chatted Sailor Moon and sentai shows. We also talked about other fun stuff, including Ape's seeming disdain for furry adventures. She's becoming positively fixated on my conversations with LK. Which, to be honest, are quite normal. Compared to Cleric, that is.

He got in close to bedtime and we spent most of the hour discussing a number of his characters, most of whom are crew on the Guardian in a sci-fi story he's fleshing out. It sounds like the Guardian is a massive carrier-class ship, perhaps run like a "generation ship" and crewed by a rag-tag bunch under Allester's command. And ownership. After pasting a number of character descriptions at me, he sought my opinion. I think he's got a fantastic way of describing things in a very sensory manner. It's very easy to visualize everything he describes, even with my limited "mental model-set" with regard to anthro characters.

However, he...ummm... uses a fairly specific template for most of his characters. Very Frank Frazetta. Very. I told him I just wasn't into that particular style although I think he uses it well. All sincere appreciation intended, as he's describing the Guardian and its crew, I could think of little else besides Heavy Metal. I wonder if he knows of that or Frazetta's designs...

After working on two loads of folding it was time for bed.

No comments: