Aerinravage's GamerCard

Friday, September 10, 2010

RE: The "Burn a Qu'ran Day" Lunacy

Scourging all of Islam because of a relative handful of extremists, like the WTC attackers, is no better than scourging all of Christianity for a relative handful of extremists, like abortion clinic bombers.

This is the crux of my point to Ape. See, we'd been discussing the whole Qu'ran burning-thing in Gainesville and ultimately, I landed there. I'm Christian, but I'm not really opposed to other faiths. We can debate that later, if you like. But put another way, I'm likely to get one of those "Coexist" stickers for my car...

So, my position is based on the notion that Islam, at its heart and as practiced by the vast majority of its followers is not too different from other commonly accepted faiths. I'm not aware of anything in the Qu'ran that says Muslims must actually attack nonbelievers, in a literal physically-violent sense.

I think most religions teach conversion, with a wink and a nod to the idea that theirs is the "correct" one. But I'm not aware of a main-line faith that says that conversion is supposed to come at sword or gunpoint.

So, if in fact the Qu'ran does teach that, my argument falls to pieces. Maybe I should find the Islamic equivalent to "Why do Catholics Do That?" and see if I've got it right.

By the way, Ape didn't like my argument above and didn't take to kindly to it. Ah, what a way to start a weekend!

No comments: