Aerinravage's GamerCard

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Power Gig: Rise of the SixString

Why didn't someone tell me sooner that I was wasting my time? When this was announced, all the press suggested it was a "real guitar game", and a path to beginning real guitar proficiency. When it hit retail, the box didn't really say much one way or the other, other than the axe itself boldly claiming that real rockers use strings.

So, I watched my usual haunts for signs of clearance-binning and yesterday I finally scored. I got the PS3 guitar bundle for 25 bucks. Took it home, set it up, and realized I'd basically been had.

Yes, the included guitar (plasticky, three-quarter scale but very solid-feeling) is a real electric. It plugs into any standard amp. But to use it with the included game (whose plot made me think of Rock 'n Rule) you basically neuter it into a standard five-button controller.

Really?

All that potential and it doesn't even include a tuner? Wow.

To top *that*, it seems the guitar has no MIDI capability and cannot be used as a real guitar with any software or system.

So what the heck was the point of this thing supposed to be? And how could I have been so naive?

It's going back to Best Buy if they'll have it. I guess I'll have to wait for the Rock Band Squier electric to get binned if I want to play guitar like an actual guitarist.

No comments: