Aerinravage's GamerCard

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Book Review: Child of the Prophecy

~Whew~

I read the second half of "Child" in a breathless rush. The misgivings I had about the story changed at about the halfway point when Fainne found her center. And I liked the ending. Pretty much anyway. Oddly, there are some parallels in the ending here and in the resolution of Phèdre's story with regard to Hyacinthe. In fact, Darragh and Hyacinthe seem to be men of a similar wanderlust.

One thing I've enjoyed in the Sevenwaters series is the regard for earth and nature. I'm not heeding the call to a druidic life, but the view Marillier gives of that life, plus the mysticism of Irish/Celtic lore is fascinating and appealing. I am considering integrating natural symbolism into my Noble's. You'll just have to wait on that though!

I've also enjoyed that the series focused on strong female leads, as Kushiel's was. And as in that, these ladies are often flawed and conflicted but still strong of will. Well, sometimes ^^ But they carry on until the end. There's a good deal of romance in these books as well, although not so much in the traditional sense. It's more like the pages are filled with love, and only some of it romantic. A lot of it is familial bonding, and love of kin for kin.

Now I have to get Eclipse out of the way to make room for Heir. Not like Eclipse is going to be some great chore. The passion in Twilight is palpable and fun and I'm looking forward to being ready for the movie.

No comments: