Aerinravage's GamerCard

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Navigating By Sonar


(PS3 is wearing me out)

Well, TheAlmighty is not back to full health yet. I logged in at 7-ish to check on something, and Kitty and I had a nice chat. I think it blew her mind to see me up and about with the Sun still visible.

I didn't stay long though because dinner came. I logged back in after 9, and about 5 minutes later, *bzzt* lockup. So I yank the PS3 off the TV stand and take it apart again. I wanted to check the heatsinks. This time, it only took like 15 minutes to strip it down, but then the fan wouldn't come off. Either the paste is really holding or the heat's fusing stuff together in there...

I got it back together and back online (so far, NO DFLS!) at about 9:40 and Fhox asked the shell if anyone wanted to static in the 14-16 range. I asked to go but said I'd have to finish up game night with the fam, which would end at about 10:30.

Luckily, game night ended on schedule and I hastily made my way to the OP. I warned the party that I might get knocked off again. Fhox was only able to round up 4 Brigaders (Fhox, Isa, Puma and me on SCH), and random seekers were ignoring his LFP requests. So we made do with bunnies and crabs. Fhox even remembered to throw out an {Amateur} for good measure. I joked that maybe I'd forget to cure him when I saw red HP.

We were doing all right on T and VT action but the resting was slowign things down. And the XP penalty was huge - VT's were only worth 105 XP, *banded*. Seriously, what's that all about? Fortuantely, the camp we chose (crab camp in the trees near Oasis) had lots of prey for Puma to work with.

On one particular pull we were getting close to finishing off a VT snip when a gob wandered over and started hating on Fhox. The crab and Fhox went down at almost the same time but the gob then ignored the rest of us. Interesting. Even though we generated no hate, I figured its aggression at our level would have led to a wipe.

Isa volunteered to switch jobs in Selbina to raise Fhox. Not long after she left, Brothermist runs by with gob in tow and dies not far from us. I informed Isa she had more customers. And then, of course, I get aggro. I haul tail for Selbina ("Run Forest Run") and actually make it. And then Puma goes down. So I change too and while Isa is helping Fhox and Puma (she got back before me) I help out Mist. I got a shot in at Fhox too (paraphrasing): Aer> I told you I might "accidentally" forget to cure. Fhox > You sure did. Aer > I didn't piss off the gob. All > lol

(When they make chat logs saveable on PS3 I will be sooooo happy)

We switch back and return to camp, which Fhox has cleverly relocated to one side of the grove. As we resume the business of killing beach animals, my screen freezes. Argh! At first I thought it was a total lockup but I could still hear things. So I tried some chats, casts and a call. Everything was working except I couldn't see what I was doing.

I regretfully say my farewells and shut down. I hope they did OK after I left since they had no other healing support.

As for TheAlmighty, I have one last thing to try. On this overheat (assuming that's what these have been) the fan never went into high speed mode. I don't know if the case being off is affecting the temperature sensor, but tonight I'm going to reassemble the whole thing and try again.

I had elevated the PS using the screwheads, and propped the BDD sideways as well. But the mainboard is STILL getting incredibly hot!

I'm also looking into other people's experiences with the video-lock problem. And I'm trying to track down a way to manually change the fan speed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol i made it into your story.
Brothermist