Aerinravage's GamerCard

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

{Garrison} {Defense} {Down}

After Y Night, I logged in at about 9:15 and found Brigaders prepping for a Garrison run in North Gustaberg. Many Brigaders. 11 girding for battle and one more occupied elsewhere, making the new record 12. I think we might have touched 13 briefly… Log was going, and Vaudian must be a new Brigader that I’d get to meet.

Fhox asked me to come as PLD/WHM then quickly requested /WAR. I began my journey on WHM so that I could tele my way there, figuring on a quick change in Bastok. I grabbed some food and tried out the new shortcut. It wound up taking nearly as long as a standard tele-choco run would’ve, about 12 minutes.

The good news is it was free and didn’t take me through Pashhow. The bad is that, unless your destination is Palborough Mines, the exit of the shortcut isn’t convenient to Bastok or the OP. After a lot of running I was able to enter Bastok, change, grab some arrows, and hoof it to the OP. My bow was in Storage back in Windy so I asked Fhox how important Ranged would be. He seemed to think “very” and Kitty offered to lend me one.

As we massed near the OP, Vaughn began going over strategy. I think he’s done this before ^^ The basic plan was to have all melees /assist me, while hopefully keeping one mob per wave alive for full rests between each of 4 waves. I’m not sure how I wound up tanking the whole thing, but it was cool. That was the plan, anyway… With a two-party alliance, this garrison throws 4 Quadav, then 6, then 8, then 8 + NM Boss. Vaughn wanted to make sure we all had macros and strategy ready, so the kickoff took like 20 minutes after everyone had arrived.

We did OK for the first two rounds but we didn’t get the last mob sleep-and-rest off right and the third wave wiped us. After Fhox had homepointed and outposted back to us for Raises, many Brigaders had to leave as it was after 11pm now. We were able to keep a six-man party for another go. Credit to Kitty for encouraging (read: browbeating) Archer to stay. As a one-party group, the waves would be 2-4-6-6 + Boss.

Kitty and Vaughn chose to voke and kite one mob while the rest of us worked other the other quads. This was important as the NPC Recruits were interfering by killing what we were trying to save. We did pretty well through the first two waves, and I even remembered to heal the NPCs too. But the third wave ended when all the NPCs died.

I think only 3 of us survived this go-round, including Aleu and I trying to kill quads before the Recruits all dropped dead.

Overall, it was a lot of fun doing a massed Brigader event. Despite the XP lost, and the two delevels, I think we all had a blast. Fhox apologized profusely for the trouble but a few of us said the event was worth it regardless. I sure wasn’t expecting phat l00tz. I think that cheered Fhox up. I think with a better battle plan and job mix we might have a chance. Assuming we can get Archer to come back that is. I don’t think he liked this style of battle. Honestly, I don’t either, preferring straight XP parties and Campaign. But being able to do something goofy WITH the RDB is what makes the difference for me.

After that, I took a break to watch some late-night Deal or No Deal. Then I came back at about 12:40 and returned to Windy after changing outfits in Bastok. I decided to try the current Moogle event: Celestial Nights. This is another case of “follow something while avoiding/preventing ‘aggro’ to win”. This time, a pair of actors walks around and players have to help out with the performance. The actors are role-playing (meta-RP? HA!) as a prince and princess, and another actor plays the vixen spoiler trying to break them up.

The kicker is that the actress is developing feelings for her co-star and it’s up to me (and anyone else nearby) to make sure our fair princess can finish the show with good spirits. This is done by “agreeing” to the personal thoughts she expresses, distracting the vixen, and slapping the prince if need be. I’m going to edit the event guide because while it explains all this, it doesn’t make clear that the vixen distraction must happen *before* she moves in on her prey.

In game terms, the player has to aggro the sight-detecting mob before it detects the NPCs, turn its gaze away until the NPCs pass safely and then rejoin the NPCs “buffing” as needed. After failing miserably so many times before learning this valuable tip, I thought soloing this might not work, but it does. I got a fireworks-dispensing yukata for my trouble. Just as I wrapped up (literally), I see an LS tell from Esimt asking for a Raise.

I don’t recall ever seeing the name before and thinking it’s a new Brigader, I accept, wanting to make a good impression. I teleport out to Konschaht, but in the TWO MINUTES it took, he began getting pushy. I run all over G-6, where he said he was, but I can’t find him. I keep asking where he is and he keeps basically ignoring me and whining about the HP timer.

Yalto had already jumped into the LS once to tell Esimt to be patient. In private chat, he apologized for Esimt’s behavior and complimented me on my patience. I tell him not to worry and that it’s no biggie. But then Esimt says he got a friend to raise him. *That* wasn’t cool. He still refuses to tell me where he was and said in seemingly-halting English and auto-trans that he needs to register an expansion.

I snapped back that it was ok but that I wanted to know where he was hiding during my ten-minute jog through the area. Yalto and I discussed Esimt’s future as a Brigader and I commented that people like him rarely last long in a tight social group like ours. Hopefully so.

In any case, a long and interesting night!

No comments: