Aerinravage's GamerCard

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Screw You, Gateway!


(This is why I hate working on computers...)

Some time ago, my mom's 4-year-old Gateway laptop was snuffed by viruses. My Sis' hubby, AKA the Springfield Connection, tried restoring the system using the included OS recovery CD. After trying a few times, he was left with the same result each time. Some key .DLLs were missing. And he had to return home to Springfield. He left me his USB drive with all the docs he copied prior to using the recovery CD.

I gave it a few tries, and also tried restoring from the just-discovered recovery partition on the HD. It failed too. So I took a copy of WinXP and installed it. And of course, my reg key is locked away in my previous employer files buried who-knows-where in my house. I bought two computers and some other doo-dads from them when they shut down and a lot of it never got unpacked.

Friday after work I tried Gateway support to ask why their stupid recovery CD only recovered fail. The human on the other side of the screen was very polite and appreciated my patience. But the only answer he offered was for me to buy another recovery CD, for 20 bucks. He couldn't guarantee it would work any better than the one I was holding, so I passed.

Then out of frustrated boredom, I fired up the recovery CD one more time. Guess what? It worked. After all that crap from the computer, the Gateway rep, and Mom (teasing of course), the stupid thing was on the way to proper function.

Oh, one more thing. I hate working on laptops because XP doesn't ever seem to recognize any device. I had to follow up the "XP patch parade" with Gateway drivers for sound, video, touchpad and wireless. Plug and play my fuzzy rump.

No comments: