Aerinravage's GamerCard

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Time Travel


(Now, if only I could find my early-80's B-Wing...)

Sunday was garage cleaning day. I'd had enough of the mess the holiday boxes were making, and I saw a lot of car stuff from my old Lumina I could toss, as I'd never need it now. So I spent about three hours digging back in the wee recesses. Most of the stuff in this zone was mine. Either car junk or old toys and mementos. Most of the non-car stuff was pre-1995, when we moved into this house.

So, with Clone the Younger in tow, we looked through boxes of my old stuff. A lot of it was "construction toy" bits. Think Lego. Now think every Lego knockoff and "similarly-themed" building set you can. Also, plastic racetrack and train pieces. Mixed in were random things I thought were cool as a pre-teen.

He was getting a kick seeing the old stuff and hearing the stories behind some of it. He REALLY got happy when I found a box of Star Wars cards (Remember the old ones that came wrapped in wax paper with a piece of rock-hard gum?). I think most of them were ESB and ROTJ. I gave them to him and soon he had them all organized in an empty Yu-Gi-Oh album.

I'll be honest... There was something specific I was looking for. I thought I had found the cache of childhood joy the night I found the missing library books, but I was wrong. And since I'd cleared out almost all the old stuff I was getting aggravated. Then, in the last box I pulled, I found them!

If you'd like to discuss this find with me, please do so politely. I really don't feel like getting griefed over this. I get enough of that from my BIL, and he has no idea these exist.

Without further ado, I present...

My My Little Ponies. Yes, I had a bunch of these growing up. I don't know if there were more than this, but here's 15 ponies (regular, pegasi and unicorns) and the Stable, Carryall, and Grooming thingy. These are original 80's vintage G1's if you're keeping score.



The 6 in the carryall are in fine shape, but the 9 that were in the stable didn't fare so well... The bag they were wrapped in ripped and bugs got in. Made a mess of the place. I spent an hour trying to clean them up and I still need to get bug gunk out of most of their manes and tails... Also, some have discolored a bit and/or their paint is coming off... ):



I may go back and shoot them at an angle so their markings are visible. I wasn't thinking when I took these snaps and only afterwards did I realize they're pretty anonymous without their colorfully-marked flanks showing, lol.

And yes, I had some Breyers (I think I have one remaining) too, and a large wooden dressage ring (found it Sunday).

Enjoy!

1 comment:

DJ said...

yey! They look really good for having lived in a garage XD I only have one left...and she sits on my desk next to my lilac scented cabbage patch sparkly pony. lol She's an orange pegasus. I want some of the new boy ponies they have.