Aerinravage's GamerCard

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Why does it have to be this way?!


(I swear, if it ever happens close to me...)

As I said, I'm now halfway into "Daughter of the Forest". I'm starting to really like this one. I've not read any fiction of the Fair Folk - faerys - and there's actually a personal connection to Ireland. Learning of this world is quite fascinating for me.

The book took a long time to hook me, but unlike the last, this one's heroine has a strong and distinct personality of her own. Which she needs in this telling of the "Swans" legend.

However, near the halfway point (in my reading), tragedy strikes. Sorcha, our protagonist, is raped. I got angry. Again. Is this going to be a theme here? Strong female ^h lead characters have to be raped to show their mettle? (edited 01/25 to recognize Van's cruel violation)

I'm still reading, and I expect I'll be satisfied with the ending of the tale. Retribution for her attackers happened not long after the assault but there is more payback coming, for the one who set the whole tangled challenge upon Sorcha in the first place.

I don't mean to be a downer, but it really bothers me to think of this. As before, I pray it never happens to any of you, and should it, that you find the peace you utterly deserve.

On that note, usage of "raped" in shell has been bothering me more lately. Some of our members are a bit fond of scatological chat, which already peeves me some (see earlier post with Autumn), but flinging "rape" around as a battle description is starting to upset me too...

I may or may not speak up soon. Haven't decided if I want to go down that road with the Rogues.

No comments: