Aerinravage's GamerCard

Friday, October 31, 2008

On Being a Blue White Mage


(I can't *always* be happy, can I?)

A sad thought occurred to me today. Basically it goes like this. I'm an IT professional with almost 15 years of experience in coding, reporting, app support, hardware and I even have a little management experience. I've almost always worked as part of small teams, even if those units were part of much larger companies.

But now, I'm one of over a hundred I/T folks working for a multi-location corporation. As I once described my new situation to my fam: "I went from the top dog to being just another cog." This isn't the problem, as I'm really enjoying being part of a substantial enterprise for once.

What I thought of that brought me down is that the time I've spent so far in I/T have not taken me where I want to be skill-wise. Yes, I've been very successful for my employers, meeting almost every challenge and going beyond expectations often. When I walk around my new place and listen to the conversations my teammates are having, it's clear to me that I am not what I thought I was...

Thankfully my main skills, problem analysis and adaptability, are valued here and have led me to some successes in my new slot already. My team lead seems interested in putting more coding assignments in front of me, so that rocks.

As for Vana'diel, I do truly believe I'm a good WHM. I can only hope when I finally reach end-game WHM situations that I don't find I've been overestimating my abilities all this time!

No comments: